A few weeks ago, I wrote A Day in the Life of a Working Mama, and got a really great response. Now, that’s probably because a working teacher/blogger mama’s day is a little different than usual, and I guess people were intrigued. I also think it’s so easy to assume what other people’s days are like (i.e. “Oh that SAHM is so lucky, she just gets to stay home with her kids all day!” or “Wow, that working mom gets to escape screams all day and interact with adults, I’m so jealous!”) In reality, I think our days are all a little different than one would assume.
So, I thought I’d follow up with a Weekend in the Life of a Working Mama, because, as I mentioned in the original post, I don’t get much time for… anything during the week, so weekend’s are extra jam packed! Here’s a little rundown of our weekends.
- 5 a.m.: Wake up to blog before the kids wake up. I usually pick only one day per weekend to do this. It sucks but it’s the only way to ensure I have silent time to work, photograph a product without little hands in the way, and really focus so I don’t either spill coffee all over the keyboard or crank out crap.
- 6:30 a.m.: Kids wake up (7 or 7:30 if we’ve hit the jackpot that day!). They usually wake up in good moods on the weekends because we let them wake up on their own. During the week, when we have to wake them up to leave, it’s a toss up on which side of Jekyll and Hyde we’ll get (x 2).
- 7 a.m.: Make breakfast- something like pancakes, muffins, eggs, etc. During the week, we use a lot of quick and easy breakfasts, like these, but on the weekends, at least one morning, I like to make something a little more special, like these Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip pancakes.
- 8 a.m.: Vacuum upstairs, pick up house. This usually doesn’t take too long, and we try to rotate chores every weekend.
- 10 a.m.: Shower and get ready for gymnastics/the day.
- 11 a.m.: Leave for gymnastics/other activities.
- 11:30-12:15: Every weekend at 11:30 a.m., Anissa takes toddler gymnastics classes. Check out why we love it here!
- 12:30 a.m.: Grab lunch somewhere after gymnastics.
- 1 p.m.: Out and about for the day. Usually includes a Target or Costco run, and any other errands we may need (furniture shopping, etc.). Kids will usually nap in the car and one of us will run errands while the other stays in the car.
- 3 p.m.: Usually have a birthday party or some event. Literally, every weekend haha.
- 6 p.m.: Dinner with family. Either our little family or a big, family dinner.
- 8 p.m.: Showers or a bubble bath (if we are home early enough)
- 8:30 – 9 p.m.: Movie in bed and bedtime. If the kids are in bed early enough/we have any energy to spare, we will try to watch a movie, but 9 times/10, we all pass out in bed together.
- 7 a.m.: Wake up with the kids (I usually pick one morning to sleep in and one morning to work, so this is my sleep in day).
- 7:30 a.m.: Breakfast and coffee. Maybe we’ll go out to breakfast today! We have a few favorite places we love to hit up for breakfast or brunch, including Waffle House (duh), Ihop, Flying Biscuit, and our new fave, Black Walnut Cafe.
- 10 a.m.: Activities! Since we get most of our cleaning done on Saturdays, we usually have a good chunk of time to devote to playing on Sundays. Our activities include things like playing games, playing with toys, going outside to do bubbles, walking to the park and playing, packing up lunch to eat outside, playing dress-up, etc.
- 12 – 3 p.m.: Lunch and then nap time!!! Hallelujah! This is about the only time Mr. R and I get to ourselves all weekend, so we will usually binge watch a show or movie, or if one of us has to work the other will pick a project to work on. This is also when most of the laundry gets folded, because all weekend we are putting in loads of laundry to get ready for the week.
- 4 – 7 p.m.: Get ready for the week. This includes things like grocery shopping, cooking for the week, prepping lunches and snacks for the next day, packing the diaper bag, cleaning up the house, etc.
- 7 p.m.: Dinner, or earlier if we are out and about. We will usually eat with family at least once or even twice every weekend!
- 8 p.m.: Bath time and g’nite 😉
- 9 p.m.: Work time for me- making sure my lesson plans are ready for the week, grades are in, email is checked, and I am ready for the week!
As you can see, weekends can be just as hectic as weekdays, sometimes! Especially since our time with the kids is so limited during the week, we really try to squeeze in as much fun time and play time as we can, and try to limit work, blogging, and cleaning to when the kids are sleeping. Of course, it doesn’t always work out that way, and we are also trying to get them involved in cleaning up, so we save some of the picking up for them!
Our weekends really are our “US” time, and we try to be in the moment, each and every moment. It doesn’t always happen that way, but we sure do live for the weekends around here!
What do your weekends look like? Are they similar? Completely different? I’d love to hear!