I am so excited for this new monthly feature that I’m going to be doing called “Around Atlanta”! Basically, I’ll try to round up the best events and happenings around the city (and all the ‘burbs) so you can take a quick peek if you are looking for fun plans for the family!
Any time we have a quiet weekend or we shockingly don’t have 5 birthday parties to try and juggle, we immediately start thinking of fun (and preferrably cheap) things to do around our city. Whether it’s a festival, event, museum, or play, we love trying new things and love to keep the kids busy (hello, good naps!)
So, below, are my recommendations for fun things around to do around the city. If you have any suggestions or additions, I’d be happy to update this list throughout the month! Look out for the March calendar next month!
- Feb. 3-5: Jurassic Quest (Georgia World Congress Center, Downtown Atlanta): Tickets $30 each. This huge dinosaur exhibit features ultra-realistic, life-size animatronic dinosaurs; Over 80 life-size dinosaurs in all. Visitors can interact with these huge creatures, learn about them and even ride a few. It features realistic scenes, enormous dinosaurs, cute baby dinosaurs and lots of fun activities for kids of all ages. There are huge T-Rex and Triceratops fossil digs where young paleontologists can uncover long hidden dinosaurs bones, the “Dino Bounce” area with several, towering, dinosaur theme inflatable mazes, face painting, Dino crafts and much more!
- Feb. 4: Chick-fil-a Daddy Daughter-Date Night (various locations around Atlanta- some are sold out so make sure you register!): Dads, you and your daughter are invited to a special Daddy Daughter Date Night Event. Enjoy an evening out with your little girl.
- All month: Snow Mountain Tubing and Snow Play (Stone Mountain, GA) Tickets from $28 each: Enjoy fun snow events, including five football fields of frosty joy., a 400-foot hill that you can shoot down in family-sized tubes, snowman building to snowball shooting, and more.
- All month: Center for Puppetry Arts: The Adventures of Mighty Bug (Midtown Atlanta): Tickets $20.50 each. Scorpiana is on the loose and threatening the insect citizens of Bugville! Enjoy this comic-book styled play with the whole family!
- All month: Black History Month at Children’s Museum of Atlanta (Downtown Atlanta): Tickets $14.95 each
- Through Feb. 19: Play the Play with Cat the Cat (Alliance Theater at the Woodruff – Midtown): Based on Mo Willems’ beloved CAT the CAT series, this play explores the often terrifying experience of making a new friend. Using the rhyming and simple language of the books, this theatrical experience will invite our young audience to identify Cat the Cat’s parade of animal friends, mimic their animal sounds, and even learn a new language!
- Feb. 25: Ringling Brothers Circus (Infinite Energy Center- Duluth, GA) Tickets from $41/each
- Through Feb. 28: C.H.O.I.C.E.S. Kids Cooking Classes (College Park): FREE 7-Week Healthy Cooking Class Series for children 8 years old and up and an accompanying adult. Learn to create healthy, delicious recipes on a budget with Executive Chef Ashley Keyes and culinary student volunteers and learn all about the We Can! Toolkit (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity and Nutrition) designed by the National institutes of Health.
- Favorite Parks: Centennial Olympic Park, Thrasher Park, Piedmont Park, Candler Park, Dresden Park