This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of PAM Cooking Spray.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces, plus extra for pan
4 Granny Smith apples or Golden Delicious (about 2 pounds), peeled and cored
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Cut 2 apples into 1/4-inch-thick slices; set aside. Cut remaining 2 apples into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
3. Heat butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add 1/2-inch-thick apple slices and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until apples begin to caramelize, 4 to 6 minutes. (Do not fully cook apples.) Add 1/4-inch-thick apple slices, brown sugar, and lemon juice; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and apples are coated, about 1 minute longer. Transfer apple mixture to prepared pan and lightly press into even layer. Set aside while preparing cake.
7. Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
8. Cool pan on wire rack 20 minutes. Run paring knife around sides of cake to loosen. Place wire rack over cake pan. Holding rack tightly, invert cake pan and wire rack together; lift off cake pan. Place wire rack over baking sheet or large plate to catch any drips. If any fruit sticks to pan bottom, remove and position it on top of cake. Let cake cool 20 minutes (or longer to cool it completely), then transfer to serving platter, cut into pieces, and serve.
9. (ADDED BONUS): We took it a step further and topped it with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce- definitely a one-up to the original recipe!
PAM is generously giving away one PAM Cooking Spray kit to an Accidental Mrs. reader! This prize pack consists of the following and is valued at $50.00:
- Full size sample of PAM
- Le Creuset Pie Dish
How to enter:
- Leave a comment telling me what you plan to make for Thanksgiving!
- All entrants must be 18 years+ and reside in the continental U.S.
- Giveaway ends Nov. 27.
Good luck, and Happy Holidays!
PAM Sweepstakes Terms and Conditions: https://theaccidentalmrs.com/2013/11/22/pam-sweepstakes-terms-and-conditions/ (Password: PAM)
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of PAM Cooking Spray. For more information, visit http://www.pamcookingspray.com.