Do you have 12 hours to change your life? Huh? That sounds like a pretty good trade off to me, wouldn’t you agree? I’ve been reading a great book, called Unleash the Power of the Female Brain, and this is the first question posed in the book.
This book, by Dr. Daniel G. Amen, gives women insight on the unique make-up of the female brain, ultimately discussing, if in fact, womens’ brains are better/different than mens. Dr. Amen also gives us a simple 12-hour program targeted specifically for women to help them thrive and understand themselves better (hence the whole 12-hours-to-change-your-life question). Finally, Dr. Amen addresses the issues women ask about the most including fertility, pregnancy, menopause, weight, stress, anxiety, insomnia and relationships.
So how did this book come to be, and is it really reliable, you may ask? Well, Dr. Amen did a lot of testing. To find out what exactly, you’ll have to read the book, but basically, he found an increase of brain activity in womens’ brains. Because of the increased activity, we ladies often exhibit greater strengths in the areas of: empathy; intuition, collaboration (which is why women often make better bosses) self-control and appropriate worry. Round of applause for the ladies! But (dun dun dunnnn) this increased activity also makes females more vulnerable to anxiety; depression, insomnia, eating disorders, pain and being unable to turn off your thoughts.
For these reasons, the book was written to help femails understand how to take control and supercharge our brains. I really enjoyed the book because it was very relatedable, and I found myself often saying “Ah ha!” or reading a passage to Mr. R that I thought sounded just.like.him. Here are some of the pain points/sections I personally found interesting, as well as why I liked the book:
- Why women make better bosses and CEOs (empathy and collaboration)
- Cast of Characters: your hormones (the skinny on each hormone that makes us up, ladies)
- Feed the Female Brain: Brain Healthy Superfoods
Why I liked the book:
- Everything is relatable. At first, I was weary of hearing about a female brain and behaviors from a male, but he relates everything to women in his life and really knows a lot about what he is talking about.
- There’s a good balance between “science talk” and stories, to help us non-meds understand what he means. It’s a great read for normal women or doctors alike.
- It doesn’t just tell you to do something, it helps you learn how to. When the book recommends to eat super foods, it gives you a list that’s two pages long of what those foods are.
One lucky reader will win a copy of the book! Enter via Rafflecopter below, and I will announce the winner on Thursday, April 4! Good luck!
Here is an excerpt from the book. You can also visit Dr. Amen’s YouTube channel, where you’ll find lots of videos on how he got his inspiration for the book, and interviews with the powerful women in his life. You can purchase the book at Target, as well as many other places online.
This post and giveaway have been sponsored by Enlist Moms. I was given a product sample to conduct this review, however all views and opinions are my own.