So, this post can really be meshed with our Valentine’s Day post, because this dinner was, in fact, on Valentine’s Day! But I loved the pcitures and idea of this meal so much that I thought it could truly stand alone.
So, let me back track a bit. Last V-Day, I bought a heart-shaped cookie cutter and made Mr. R some really-cute-in-theory-but-not-in-practice Conversation Heart cookies. At least they tasted alright, right?
A few nights before Valentine’s Day this year, I come home to him saying, “Don’t be mad at me, but….” But what?! He had used my cookie cutter to cut raw pork into hearts. Cute or gross?
So he let the pork hearts marinade for a few days, and when the special night finally came, I came home to the most amazing swoosh-in-my-mouth of pork, cheese, ham, onions and pizza dough. Huh?
Mr. R made sandwiches with the pork hearts. Here’s how it went down:
- The “bread” was actually toasted Italian pizza dough (also cut into hearts).
- Then, he placed the heart-shaped pork, which had been marinaded in a raspberry marinade on top.
- Top that with sauteed onions
- Top all THAT with mozerrella cheese
- Finally, lay a piece of smoked ham on top and close your sandwich on up.
- ENJOY! (I promise you will!)
I love this idea because you can make something like this for any holiday or occasion focusing on L.O.V.E. love! Need an anniversary dinner? Done. Romantic Date? Done. First date? Maaaaybe not…. but you get the picture 😉
I thought it was so so so sweet and thoughful of Mr. R to get creative like this and just had to share with you all! Enjoy!